PREP TIME: 30 minutes (not including time
to cook brown rice)
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
Olive oil spray
1 large (2- to 3-pound) head cabbage, quartered
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cups cooked black beans or two 15-ounce
cans, rinsed and drained
One 15-ounce can no-salt-added fire-roasted
2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
2 tablespoons liquid aminos (or gluten-free
tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ cups cooked brown rice (or other grain)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F . Lightly spray a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
2. Chop each cabbage quarter into 1-inch strips. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté
until the onion is just becoming translucent.
4. Add the bell pepper, black beans, tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, liquid aminos, parsley,
oregano, cumin, and paprika. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper is tender.
5. Add the cabbage, cover again, and cook until the cabbage is soft. Stir in the rice and cook until heated
through. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat.
6. Transfer to the baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before
serving. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.