PREP TIME: 30 minutes (not including
time to make polenta)
ACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
8 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-
Olive oil spray
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Salt and black pepper to taste
3 cups water
2 ounces dried mushrooms (porcini or a
2 tablespoons vegan butter (soy-free if
½ red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
8 ounces button mushrooms (or cremini
8 ounces wild mushrooms (shiitake,
chanterelle, oyster, morel, lobster, etc.; see
2 tablespoons oat flour (certified gluten-free
½ cup vegan red wine
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Cooked polenta or other grain or pasta
Chopped fresh parsley, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking
mat. Spread out the carrots on the sheet and lightly spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with the dried thyme,
dried parsley, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 25 minutes, or until caramelized and tender.
Set aside until ready to use.
2. Once the carrots are in the oven, bring the water to a boil in a medium pot, then remove from the heat.
Add the dried mushrooms and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until
translucent. Add the garlic, rosemary, and fresh thyme and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the
button and wild mushrooms. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the rehydrated mushrooms from the water
into the pan (do not discard the water). Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the
mushrooms are tender but still hold their shape.
4. Add the oat flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is fully incorporated. Add the wine and
cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has reduced. Add ½ cup of the reserved mushroom soaking
water, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, until most of the liquid has been
5. Add the carrots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and remove from the heat. Serve over creamy polenta,
garnished with fresh parsley, if desired. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3