MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
PREP TIME: 15 minutes (not
including time to make Smoked Gouda
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried dill
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 to 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
4 portobello mushroom caps
Olive oil spray
2 tablespoons liquid aminos (or glutenfree tamari; use coconut aminos to be
2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
sauce (gluten-free and/or soy-free if
Black pepper to taste
4 vegan sandwich rolls (gluten-free if necessary), split horizontally
Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce, Melty Variation
Loads of sauerkraut
1. To make the Russian dressing : Stir together the mayonnaise, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, dill,
and paprika in a small bowl. Add relish to taste. Chill until ready to use.
2. To make the sandwiches : Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a
silicone baking mat. Lightly spray the top and bottom of each portobello cap with olive oil and place on
the baking sheet gill side up.
3. In a small cup or bowl, mix together the liquid aminos and Worcestershire sauce. Drizzle over the
mushrooms, then sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few
minutes. Slice the mushrooms on a bias into ½-inch strips. Heat the cheese sauce and keep warm.
4. Preheat the broiler. Arrange the rolls on the baking sheet, cut side up. Lay portobello strips on the
bottom halves. Spread or drop cheese sauce on top of the mushrooms. Place under the broiler for 1 to 2
minutes, until the cheese is golden and the bread is toasted.
5. Add a pile of sauerkraut onto the cheesy half of each sandwich, then spread Russian dressing on the
top half of each roll. Place the top half on top of the sandwich and serve immediately.
MAKES 4 SANDWICHES