MAKES 40 NUGGETS
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
Two 8-ounce packages tempeh
3 cups low-sodium “no-chicken” flavored
vegetable broth (or regular vegetable broth)
2 tablespoons liquid aminos
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
¾ cup plain vegan yogurt (preferably
unsweetened, nut-free if necessary)
¼ cup unsweetened nondairy milk (nut-free
3 tablespoons tahini (gluten-free if
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1½ cups vegan panko bread crumbs (glutenfree if necessary)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Olive oil spray
Ketchup (or vegan barbecue sauce;
homemade or store-bought), for dipping
1. Chop each block of tempeh into about 20 chunks, making 40 total nuggets.
2. Combine the broth, liquid aminos, thyme, and marjoram in a large pot. Place the tempeh in the pot
and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let the tempeh simmer for about 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and drain (you can save the liquid for another time you need to cook with broth or
add a bit of liquid to your pan; it should keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks). Set the tempeh aside to
cool until you can handle it.
3. While the tempeh is cooling, combine the yogurt, milk, tahini, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and
paprika in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and nutritional yeast.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
5. Use one hand to dredge a piece of tempeh in the yogurt mixture and your other hand to toss it in the
bread crumbs until fully coated. Place the nugget on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the
6. Lightly spray the tops of the nuggets with olive oil. Bake for 12 minutes, flip them and spray the tops
with olive oil again, and return to the oven for 12 minutes more, or until crispy and golden. Serve
immediately with your choice of dipping sauces. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge
for 3 to 4 days.
MAKES 40 NUGGETS