SERVES 4 TO 6
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
½ teaspoon ground sage
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon liquid aminos (use coconut aminos
to be soy-free)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika (or regular
3 pounds red potatoes, chopped into 1-inch
1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Vegan sour cream (soy-free if necessary),
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F .
2. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the fennel seeds
and sage and cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 1 minute. Add the liquid aminos, thyme, and oregano. Cook
until the mushrooms are tender and browned and the liquid has cooked away, about 7 minutes.
4. Add the liquid smoke, salt, and pepper. Spread out the mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.
Roast for 30 minutes or until needed in step 7, whichever is less.
5. While the mushrooms are roasting, melt the butter in the same pan you used to cook the mushrooms.
Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until the
garlic is fragrant. Stir in the paprika and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook, stirring
occasionally, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Add the mushrooms to the potatoes, along with the parsley. Season with more salt and/or pepper if
necessary. Serve immediately, topped with vegan sour cream (if using). Leftovers will keep in an airtight
container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days
SERVES 4 TO 6