PREP TIME: 30 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
12 ounces spiral pasta (gluten-free if
One 12-ounce vacuum-packed block extra firm
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsweetened nondairy milk (nutfree if necessary)
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and
sliced (see Variation)
½ cup vegan white wine (or low-sodium
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast, optional
1 teaspoon paprika
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and
add the pasta. Cook according to the package
instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Combine the tofu, lemon juice, milk, and vinegar in a food processor and process until smooth. Set
3. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté
until the shallots are almost translucent.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 10 to 12
minutes. Add the wine and cook until the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the nutritional yeast and
5. Add the reserved tofu mixture and cook until heated through. Add the parsley, salt, and pepper. Fold
in the pasta and serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can use other types of mushrooms, or even a mixture of mushrooms, to replace the shiitakes.