SERVES 3 OR 4
PREP TIME: 15 minutes (not including time
to cook brown rice)
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
One 20-ounce can jackfruit, thoroughly rinsed
1½ cups cooked cannellini beans/15 oz can,
rinsed & drained
4 green onions, finely chopped, plus more for
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons chickpea flour, plus more if
1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
2 teaspoons liquid aminos (or gluten-free
tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon kelp granules
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
Sunflower oil (or canola oil) for frying
lemon dill aïoli
¾ cup vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ teaspoons dried dill
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt to taste
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Place the jackfruit in a food processor and pulse about five times, until broken up into smaller pieces.
3. Pour the beans into a bowl and use a potato masher to mash them until creamy but still chunky. Add
the jackfruit, green onions, brown rice, chickpea flour, mayonnaise, Old Bay, liquid aminos, parsley, kelp
granules, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir together until combined. The mixture should hold
together when you squeeze it. If it doesn’t, add chickpea flour by the tablespoon until it does.
4. Scoop up ⅓ cup of the mixture and use your hands to shape it into a patty. Place the patty on the
baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture. You should have about 12 patties.
5. Heat a large frying pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Pour in enough oil to coat the bottom
and heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Line a plate with paper towels. Place three or four patties in the pan and cook
for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until crispy and browned all over. Place the cooked patties on the plate
and top with more paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Repeat with the remaining patties, adding more
oil as necessary, until all are cooked.
6. While the cakes are cooking, make the aïoli: Combine all the ingredients in a cup and stir together.
Chill until ready to use.
7. Garnish the cakes with chopped green onions and serve with the aïoli on the side. Leftovers will keep
in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
SERVES 3 OR 4