MAKES 6 BURGERS
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 45 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
One 14-ounce block extra firm tofu, pressed for
about 30 minutes
2 tablespoons liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari)
1 teaspoon v egan Worcestershire sauce (glutenfree if necessary)
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried parsley
¾ cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free if
½ cup vegan bread crumbs (gluten-free if
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt and black pepper to taste
Olive oil spray
6 vegan burger buns (gluten-free if necessary)
Burger fixings (all are optional): lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, pickles, Pickled Red
Cabbage & Onion Relish , ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, Basic Cashew Cheese Sauce or other vegan
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the
onion is translucent.
2. Transfer to a food processor. Add the tofu, liquid aminos, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, cumin,
thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, and ¼ cup of the oats. Process until smooth.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining oats, the bread crumbs, and sesame seeds.
Mix until combined. Add salt and pepper.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Divide the mixture into six equal
parts. Using your hands or a greased biscuit cutter (sized to fit the buns), form the mixture into patties
and place on the baking sheet.
5. Heat a large grill pan or frying pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Generously spray the pan
with olive oil. Place 2 or 3 patties in the pan (however many will fit without being crowded) and cook for
4 to 5 minutes on each side, a few minutes longer if your patties are more than ¾ inch thick, until firm,
crisp, and browned on the outside. Place the burgers on buns. Repeat with the remaining patties,
respraying the pan between batches.
6. Let everyone assemble their burger with their choice of fixings. Leftover burgers will keep in an
airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
MAKES 6 BURGERS