PREP TIME: 30 minutes (not including
time to make Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara
Sauce and Basic Cashew Cheese Sauce)
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
2 large heads cauliflower (3 to 4 pounds),
½ cup unsweetened nondairy milk (soy-free if
3 tablespoons plain coconut yogurt (or soy
yogurt; preferably unsweetened)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup vegan panko bread crumbs (gluten-free
½ cup oat flour (certified gluten-free if
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and black pepper to taste
Olive oil spray
3 cups Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara Sauce (or store-bought vegan marinara sauce of your choice), warmed
Basic Cashew Cheese Sauce
½ cup chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. On a cutting board, hold one cauliflower upright and cut two 1½-inch-thick slices from the center of
the head (without removing the core/base of the cauliflower). Repeat with the second head, so that you
have four large slices. You can save the remaining cauliflower to use in other recipes, such as the Cream
of Mushroom Soup .
3. In a wide, shallow bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. In a
second wide, shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, oat flour, nutritional yeast, dried basil, oregano,
salt, and pepper.
4. One at a time, place a cauliflower steak in the milk mixture, flipping it to fully coat (use a spoon to
drizzle the liquid over the steak to coat it fully, if necessary). Transfer the steak to the bread crumbs,
gently flipping until coated. Pat the bread crumbs onto the steak as needed. Place the steak on the
prepared baking sheet. Once you’ve prepared each steak, you can coat the remaining cauliflower slices, if
5. Spray the tops of the steaks liberally with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, gently
flip each steak, and spray with olive oil again. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes more, or until
golden and crispy.
6. To serve, scoop some marinara sauce onto each plate. Place a steak on top (along with a couple of
other smaller pieces, if serving them). Drizzle with cheese sauce and sprinkle with fresh basil.