MAKES 8 SANDWICHES
PREP TIME: 15 minutes (not including time
to make Vanilla Ice Cream)
ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes INACTIVE TIME:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour
blend, soy-free if necessary)
3 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon xanthan gum (exclude if using all-purpose
flour or if your gluten-free blend includes it)
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan dark chocolate chunks (or chips)
4 tablespoons vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
½ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons aquafaba
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla Ice Cream ; or 1½ pints store-bought vegan
vanilla ice cream)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 8 × 8-inch baking dishes with parchment paper. If you have them, use small
binder clips to clip the parchment paper to the edges of the dishes. This will keep the paper from sliding when you
spread the batter. Set the baking dishes aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum (if using), and
3. Melt the chocolate with the butter in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl on top of a pot of boiling water,
stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from the heat. Add the sugar, applesauce, aquafaba, and vanilla.
Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
4. Divide the batter between the two baking dishes and spread until smooth and even. The batter may be difficult
to spread, so if you need to, you can place a sheet of plastic wrap over the batter and use your hand to push or
spread it. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and the edges are pulling away from the pan slightly. Remove from
the oven and let cool for 1 to 2 hours.
5. Remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften for about 15 minutes before you plan to use it. Spread ice
cream on top of the brownie layer in one pan. Create an even layer that’s ½ to 1 inch thick. (To spread it more
easily, place a sheet of plastic wrap over the ice cream and use your fingers to pat it down.)
6. Use the parchment paper to carefully lift the other brownie layer from the second dish and place it on top of the
ice cream. Gently press down to compress the sandwiches. Cover the pan and freeze for 30 to 60 minutes, until the
ice cream is solid again.
7. Remove the pan from the freezer. Use the parchment paper to lift the big sandwich from the pan and place it on
a flat surface, such as a cutting board. Use a knife, cookie cutter, or biscuit cutter to cut out your desired sandwich
shapes. If using a cookie or biscuit cutter, you will have to gently push from the bottom, underneath the parchment
paper, to get the sandwiches to pop up. Place the sandwiches in an airtight container. Freeze until ready to serve,
or for up to 1 month.
MAKES 8 SANDWICHES