MAKE 8 TACOS
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes
1½ cups vegan pale or blonde ale (Ground
Breaker Brewing IPA No. 5 and Brunehaut Bio
Blonde are both vegan and gluten-free)
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed, gills scraped,
cut into 1-inch slices
Sunflower oil, for cooking
6 to 8 corn tortillas (or small flour tortillas)
2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and diced
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or thawed frozen)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño
Salt to taste, optional
1. Combine the beer, lime juice, cumin, and garlic powder in a shallow baking dish. Add the portobello
strips and toss to fully coat. Marinate for 30 minutes, moving the strips around every 10 minutes.
2. While the portobello strips are marinating, make the salsa: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl,
cover, and chill until ready to use.
3. Heat a large frying pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add a couple of teaspoons of oil and
tilt the pan around to evenly coat the bottom. Add about half of the portobello strips and cook for 10 to
15 minutes, turning every few minutes, until tender and slightly charred, and most of the liquid has been
absorbed. Transfer the strips to a plate or bowl and cover with aluminum foil. Add another couple of
teaspoons of oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining strips.
4. Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat (or just clean the pan you cooked the portobello strips
in and reuse it). Cook the tortillas for 30 to 60 seconds on each side, placing them on a plate and covering
with aluminum foil when they’re done.
5. To serve, place a few portobello strips in a tortilla and top with the avocado-corn salsa. Leftovers will
keep in the fridge in separate airtight containers for up to 4 days.
MAKE 8 TACOS